You have probably come here because you would like to do a family shoot but you don’t know how to choose the best family photographer. It really does not surprise me that you are looking for advice since choosing a photographer can be a very difficult task. There are many things to keep in mind. That is why I come to help You. I would like to give you some tips to make your family session a success. Keep reading for my top 11 tips for choosing the best family photographer for You.
11 TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE BEST FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHER
- Style of the Photographer. You need to think what type of photos you like most. There are portraits photographers, lifestyle, and documentary photographers. The photos they do are a little bit different so also the final result will be different. The lifestyle photographers are mostly looking for natural moments, for emotions but also they stage a scene in some point so the photos will look perfect, the light will be appropriate, and everybody look great. Portrait photographers focus on posing the person, maybe they use specific flashes and they have their own studio where they control the scene 100%. A documentary photographer won’t interfere with the scene, won’t pose you, and will only capture what happen in front of the lens. This is the most natural and hones way of doing a family photoshoot. All of the styles are ok but it depends on which style you like the most. And with which one you will feel more comfortable.
- Colors of the photos( Post-production). Every photographer, after taking the photos, sit with his computer and edit them. So called “post-production”. In this moment, the photographer decides which colors will dominate on the photo, if it will be black and white image and how dark or light the photo will be. It’s better if you choose a photographer who’s style match with you, with your decoration at home ( if you want to print the photos and put them on the walls) and resonate with your style. Then you won’t be disappointed with the final results.
- Look for a FAMILY photographer. Mostly people think that if someone is a photographer, then he can actually shoot anything and the results always will be amazing. This is not exactly the true. Imagine, having an heart operation done by brain doctor or a gynecologist. It is not exactly the same, right? The same thing happen with photographers. A great wedding photographer can be a horrible in landscapes and a product photographer can know nothing about family shooting. So I recommend you choosing a photographer who already did a lot of family shootings, who has experience and who’s portfolio shows professionalism and dedication.
- Studio or Outdoor ( or your house or favorite location). Some people like studio photos and artificial light and some people prefer the natural light and the photoshoots done in more relaxed environment. If you prefer more polished images, maybe you should choose the studio, but if you prefer more improvisation, the outdoor shooting is for you.
- Other clients reviews. Nowadays people choose products and services based on the opinions of others. It’s very helpful because you know that you are buying something good that other users already tried. The same with photographers. Check the social media, Google Reviews and what previous clients who already had the photoshoot with this photographer, tell about it. It will give you the insights about the personality of the family photographer, the results and you will know if he or she is an expert in the field.
- Availability. Some photographers are very busy, especially in the weekends when most of the people plan their photoshoots. So I recommend you to think about few possible days that your family can do the shooting and then contacting the photographer you like to see if your dates match. Don’t leave it to the last moment. Always is good to plan a family shooting few weeks before.
- The Budget. For many people this is the most important factor when choosing a family photographer. And I understand! Of course, we all like to get amazing service in the low price. And that’s fine that you check the price. But don’t pick a photographer only because he/she is cheap. Photography is an art, and as any other art it is expensive. It needs the dedication, the talent, the experience, the equipment, the time, a lot of knowledge and the effort. Photographers who know their value won’t be cheap but also the photos they make will be stunning and unique. First of all, you should remember why you want to hire a photographer, what important moments he/she should capture and what value you give to those moments.
- Connection with the Photographer. You will spend with a photographer few hours or even a whole day. It’s very important that you feel comfortable and that your energy is similar. The better your feel, the better the photos will be. Also, it’s better to meet before the session and get to know a person who will photograph your family. Especially because of the children. They will feel more natural if they know a photographer and they will act more naturally. Sometimes it is only a matter of the gut feeling. Go with a photographer who makes you feel good.
HOW TO FIND A GREAT FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHER IN YOUR LOCATION?
If you are looking for a photographer in your city or in your area, the best way of finding one, is to ask your friends or family. They won’t lie to you, and they will be honest about the service and they will know if the results is worth the price. Especially if they used the service already. Recommendations are one of the most powerful tools. Use it a lot. Don’t be afraid to ask! People love helping!
For sure, you saw many times lists that say: The Best Hotels in Barcelona, The best beach in the worlds etc… Probably, there is also a list of the best photographers in your city. Try to find one and then check who they recommend. Choose a photographer with the style you like, and just contact him for more details.
Today, almost all professional photographers have their websites and social media accounts. It is a very helpful way of reaching clients and showing portfolio. Also it’s a great tool to find a photographer in your city. You can just search for hashtag #photographerbarcelona or any other, depending where you are, and you will a lot of photographers and their work. The only thing you have to do is to choose the best one and contact him/her directly. Done 🙂
I’ve hope that this article and those 11 tips helped you to choose the best family photographer in your area. I would love to hear about your experience. Maybe you would like to add some tips that were useful for you?
If you would like to have your family photos taken, I’m a polish family photographer based in Barcelona and I capture images in the honest, natural and beautiful way. I would love to help you to capture those small moments that will become big memories in the future. You can see my offer of the family documentary photography or contact me directly: